Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:27:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      C Porter Bassett <porter@et.byu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X tries to start

I am having an odd little X setup problem.  I run XF86Setup, and it works
mostly fine.  After everything is set up, it is time for it to test the
configuration.  The grey hatched screen with the x mouse pointer shows up,
but I never get the little buttons that ask me if the configuration is
correct.  It just skips right to where it should go if the configuration
was successful.

Then, when I execute startx, I get the same grey screen with the X mouse
pointer.  X then shuts down.  Every time.

Granted, this is not a typical install.  I am trying to get X to run in
FreeBSD on a vmware machine running in NT.  I get the same results whether
I choose generic VGA server with 16 colors and 640X480 or whether I
install the vmware tools for freeBSD.  The only difference is that with
the tools, I get a larger grey screen before it blanks out.

Has anybody out there managed to get FreeBSD working in a virtual VMWare
machine with X working?  Thanks in advance for any help I receive.