Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, hselasky@c2i.net
Subject:   Re: Parking disk drive heads

On 20 Aug, Eric Anderson wrote:

> As a data point, I've been using 64mb compact flash cards (rated at 100k
> writes) in about 100 Soekris boxes (running FreeBSD) for about 4 years,
> and they are all still working, except for one.  Now, most compact flash
> cards are rated at 1 million writes.
>
> And yes, I'm logging to the card and everything..

I've been using a laptop drive in my firewall and mail relay box for
noise and power consumption reasons.  The drive specs only give an
expected lifetime of a few years when running 24x7, and I just had to
replace a drive that had been in service about four years.  I've given
some thought to using flash, but I'm concerned about the number of
writes, especially since a mail relay (maybe 1K messages/day) is going
to be somewhat write intensive.  What would be nice is a flash-backed md
device that would flush its contents to flash on power fail.