Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 10:29:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: promiscuous ethernet

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andy Dills wrote:

[ Cunning plan snipped ]

> it will ifconfig <user gateway IP> as an alias to xl0. NAT, which will be
> run with -dynamic, will then begin address translation for the user.

You need to time out on this to ensure that nobody else responds
positively.

> I'll redirect any and all DNS requests to the local DNS server.
>
> So, I belive I've at least accomplished the theory behind it. Can anybody
> point out a flaw?

Laptops are going to be configured to talk to their local IMAP/SMTP, etc
servers. Even if these have routable IP addresses, there's a good chance
that said machines won't want to talk to you.

Severity of this depends on the intended use: if it's for web-browsing
only, it's not going to be such a hardship.

Apart from that, it's a good plan. You've effectively proxy-ARPed the
internet after all!

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
perl -e 's?ck?t??print:perl==pants if $_="Just Another Perl Hacker\n"'