Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:54:10 EST
From:      FBSDSecure@aol.com
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

In a message dated 1/28/01 2:29:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kris@obsecurity.org writes:

> > addresses are valid and which are not.  So spoofing an IP address is
pretty

>  > close to impossible from a Dialup, xDSL, or cable modem.  Another thing
>

>  Wrong. If this were true, packet-flooding based denial of service
>  attacks would be almost impossible since they would be easily blocked
>  and traced. The sad fact of the matter is that the majority of
>  networks on the internet today, including ISPs do not implement egress
>  filtering.
>
>  > point out though is if a hacker were to spoof his IP address and do a
port

>  > scan, what would be the point?  The data is useless if it can't get back
>  > the individual.  Besides, the portsentry package has a ignore file.
>
>  You miss the point: the attacker won't get any information back out of
>  it, but if you have a fascist response to port scans which blackholes
>  all traffic coming from the IP address of the port scan, the attacker
>  can spoof the packets to come from a server which is critical to the
>  operation of your machine, such as your ISP's DNS servers, or mail
>  servers, which will cause your machine to blackhole them and thereby
>  shoot itself in the foot. At a lower level of annoyance, you can
>  blackhole popular websites like google which the user might use.
>
>  The point is that automated active response is almost always a bad
>  idea, because it can be fooled into doing more harm than good.
>
>  Kris

Then why doesn't the ISPs use egress filtering?  To me it would stop alot of
the junk that is going on in the internet.  Like I said, all critical IPs are
placed in the ignore file.  The DNS and email servers I did not consider, but
they will be added.  Thanks for the tip.

Dan.