Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:20:32 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.cx>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default gateway outside range but on LAN... howto?

>imagine a /29 network, e.g. 10.0.0.8-15
>
>The default router is on the same LAN, but named 10.0.0.1 (yes, weird,
>but some providers want you to live with this setup).
>
>ifconfig ed0 inet 10.0.0.9 netmask 0xfffffff8
>
>but then, I can't set the default route anymore to 10.0.0.1, since
>according to the routing table it's not local.

It may be on the same layer 2 lan, but it's not on the same layer 3
subnet.  Something is really fubar here.  The router *has* to be in
the same subnet.  IP just plain won't work otherwise.  You need to
either:

A. change your subnet to 10.0.0.0/28, which includes the router;

or

B.  change the router's address so it's in your subnet?

If they've for some reason intentionally set up multiple subnets on a
single lan, which is perfectly permissible, then they need to configure
more than one IP address on that interface on the router, one for each
subnet.

If the network administrator is really not allowing any of these then
he/she is highly incompetent for the job.  Which probably wouldn't
be a first...

Even if you were to try to kludge the routing by grabbing an ip address
in 10.0.0.0/29, which the router will talk to, and setting up a router
there for your subnet, you'd still have to convince it to send all
10.0.0.9/29 traffic _to_ your router.  If you know (or can guess) what
routing protocol it listens to you can send announcements in that
protocol and see if it will pick them up, which it might not depending
on how it's configured, but I'm guessing this is far more complications
than you what you're looking for in an answer.

-Mitch