Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:33:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      plw@mtiame.mtia.asn.au (Phil Ware)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linking shared libraries with cyclic dependencies

> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Phil Ware wrote:
>
> > I was attempting to build the qt-1.40 GUI toolkit under FreeBSD and
> > ran across a few problems; I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
>
> Did you use the port?

Yes, I used the qt-140 port which simply patched the makefile; I also
checked the freebsd-questions and freebsd-hackers mailing lists for any
information.  On the mailing list I found another replacement Makefile
which I also tried.  Still no joy.

Checking the link(5) man page I found a CAVEAT that only GNU C currently
supports the creation of shared libraries.  Is this really the case ?
I thought that I had built qt-1.32 on this system, but maybe my memory
is faulty.  (Qt is C++ code).

Am I right in assuming that ld should be able to handle object files
with circular dependencies in them ?  Why exactly is ld.so looking for
the file at run-time ?  I would have thought either

  1)  All symbols in the executable had been resolved when the executable
      is linked against the shared library   OR

  2)  The link of the executable against the shared library would have
      failed with unresolved symbols.

Again, thanks for your time

Phil Ware
plw@mtiame.mtia.asn.au