Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:01:17 -0700
From:      gail_browne@agilent.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Raw Sockets Question

Hello,

I have a FREEBSD question, hope this is the right audience for it, if not
sorry....

I am using raw sockets in FREEBSD, a socket with the following properties,
AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, OSPF_PROTO.  I can read datagrams from this socket with
no problem if I read it all at once.  When I try to read it in two steps
(in order to read the length then allocate the appropriate sized buffer),
the second read always returns with the error code EAGAIN, resource
temporarily unavailable.  Do raw sockets not allow you to read a datagram in
two passes, is there any way around this?

Thank you for any insights,
Gail Browne