Date:      Mon,  1 Oct 2001 15:51:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kmitch@guru.org
Subject:   Re: fs corruption (ATA / 4.4-REL)

>     It's worth updating to the latest -stable kernel.  At least one other
>     person has reported filesystem corruption due to kstack underflows which
>     went away when I bumped UPAGES from 2 to 3.  I don't think the stack
>     fixes for the IDE drivers have been MFCd to -stable yet so heavy IDE use
>     could be hitting up against the kstack problem.

After reading more, it doesn't look like my MB is likely the problem.  I have
been doing massive builds in ports when the problem hits.  The install seems
to go ok without corruption.  I'm in the process of building a RELENG_4
image to try (I'm going to build a whole CD just to make sure). It's
probably going to be a day or two before my new CD is ready for me to try.

Is there any way from an installed 4.4.0 system to tell if I'm running
into this kstack problem definatively?

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request