Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:27:00 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Hopkins FBI]

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Moved to -chat...
>
> > > Also, to make so bold a leap and in the face of most current scientific
> > > opinion on these matters is itself somewhat naive. By that I mean
> > > blaming *violent* games for unbalanced children.
> >
> > And this wonderful scientific opinion has produced the utopia we now
> > live in.  Gee, that's a comforting thought.
>
> I went to grades 3 through 9 in rural Utah, as Wes well knows...
>
> The principal of the school had a paddle prominently displayed on
> the wall in his office.
>
> There were no shootings, even though firearms were common: most
> boys, and a not inconsiderable fraction of girls, of 15 years or
> older owned a shotgun and usually a .22 caliber rifle, at a minimum.
>
> There were no knifings, even though knives were very common, and
> frequently (pocket knives and hunting knives) brought to school.

Shootings, knifings and bombings.  Our politicians appear to believe
these are things to be reduced with more unenforced laws.  Our popular
culture considers these entertainment in one context and anonymous
tragedy in another.

To actually fire a weapon at another human being is a truly
transcendental act of violence.  As those who bear indirect witness to
such acts, we unconsciously dilute this fact to cope with the shear
magnitude of it.  The human body is rather fragile relative to the
physics of firearms.  Despite this, killing an otherwise healthy human
is not easy.  One must have extreme focus and absolute intent, a fact
that is universally discounted by parole boards.  To kill 13 is beyond
my ability to comprehend.

To walk through one's high school and slowly and methodically murder
classmates as the final act before suicide represents the absolute
height of depravity.  These acts can only be accomplished after totally
divorcing one's self from all constraints, social, moral or otherwise.

From this perspective, the arguments offered by the politicians and
media pundits can have no relevance.  No amount of investment in mental
health programs could possibly serve to address this.  Someone in this
state could only see such efforts as contemptible, worthy of
destruction.  No amount of censorship of violent content will mediate
this.  For someone this far gone, pursing violence is a symptom, not a
cause.  No amount of unenforced gun legislation will prevent these
acts.  The means will always exist to inflict horror, whether that means
constructing bombs or quietly knifing people on the roadside over a
period of years.

> I put the problems today down to children being "protected" from
> the knowledge that there are consequences to their actions.
>
> It used to be that if your child misbehaved at school, the child
> would be sent to the principal's office and, if necessary, given
> negative reinforcement for the misbehaviour by the principal as
> a proxy for the absent parent.
>
> Thus even if the parent failed to teach the child that there were
> consequences to ones actions, the school protected society at large
> by making it clear that the parents were not representative of the
> arger society, and that the larger society was where the child would
> be living, at least part time, and theat they better learn the rules
> which members of the society are expected to follow.
>
> This was our social "safety net"; now if a parent spanks the
> child, the child can get the parent arrested, and schools are
> permitted the same leeway as a British Bobby -- namely, they can
> yell "Stop, or I shall yell 'stop' again!".

Could it really be this simple?  I have to point out that discipline
applied by a lout only breeds resentment.  Authority must be worthy of
respect before punishment of any sort, martial or otherwise, can result
in positive behavioral change.  I submit that the typical divorcee
boomer parent has no one fooled, most especially the kids.  Living at
work to earn a Beamer while Nintendo baby sits the live-in 'Goth' does
not, at some reserved point in time, give way to wholesome and
respectful relations.

> My sister is a "hands off" parent; the most frequent question she
> voices in response to compaints by other parents about one of my
> nephews is "but what could I do?".  She won't accept the answer
> "spank him when he exhibits socially unacceptable behaviour".  My
> nephew wears gang paraphenalia, which makes sense, since he is one
> of the, to be politically correct, "peer group leaders" at his school.
>
> With no adult enforcement of acceptable behaviour, I can only hope
> he lives long enough to attend and then graduate high school and
> join the Marines, since no one else is permitted (by my sister) to
> teach him self discipline.
>
> I find it surprising that people who have to think in statements
> like "if A then B" have such a hard time internalizing the idea of
> action and reaction.
>
> In my experience, most people who exhibit socially acceptable
> behaviour do so for fear of the consequences, not because people
> are inherently nice creatures at some genetic level.

I think this notion needs to be applied to the parents of the 'Trench
Coat Mafia' generation.  If these boomers can't be expected to nurture
and discipline their spawn such that they mature into something
worthwhile, then perhaps we must codify criminal liability into
parenthood.  Fear of the consequences of their children's actions might
mitigate some of this if not lead to some measure of improvement,
assuming the consequences were actually enforced.  Unfortunately, the
current state of parenting suggests this as one imperative which, before
our time, has not existed.

Thanks for moving this thread to -chat from wherever it came.  I really
needed to experience some thoughtful and rational opinions on this.  I
live about 60 miles North of Columbine in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Naturally, a great deal of informal discussion is taking place amongst
my neighbors and co-workers.  I've been forced to avoid most of it; the
level of ignorance and self-deception is not tolerable.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Anti-social behavior is a symptom of
  allenc@verinet.com   |   rampant social depravity