Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:22:41 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DHCP weirdness ?

Hello,

I'm subscriber to an Internet cable access service (high-speed access
via the TV cable - works great, using CyberWave cable modems from
Motorola).

The ISP uses DHCP to allocate IP addresses - I'm using the DHCP client
from the Wide project (the most recent one, from the ports). As I'm
running this woderful OS that is FreeBSD (3.0-Current or 3.1-Beta), my
machine never disconnects from the network.

>From time to time, the IP address which is allocated to my machine
changes subnets (it goes from the xxx.yyy.18.zzz network to the
xxx.yyy.21.www). This seems to disturb wildly the Net connection (the
dhcp client complains about changing subnets, and often, I'm obliged to
reboot to use the network).

Atfer this (rather long) introduction, here is my question :
is it a good engineering practice to have the DHCP server change subnets
in its response even though the machine does not change physical network
?

(the rfc-2131 on DHCP specifically allows the subnet change - on p.27,
but I can't find a good reason to do so)

	Thanks in Advance

	TfH