Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:12:01 -0700
From:      Thomas Vaughan <tomva@isilon.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Group owner of new files?

Hey all-

Random question about group ownership of new files.

Suppose I have a directory /pub with ownership
root + wheel, world-writeable.

If I log in as user foobar, group foobar, and
touch a file in /pub, I see (FreeBSD 5)

hostname$ ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 foobar   wheel    0 Aug 29 14:51 foo

But under Solaris and Linux I see

hostname$ ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 foobar   foobar   0 Aug 29 14:51 foo

So who is "correct"?  It appears that in FreeBSD,
group ownership is determined by the directory, rather
than the user that created the file.  Is that expected
behavior?

    -Thomas