Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 16:55:57 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   delayed_ack

Hi all,

I'm curious as to some particulars on this sysctl value.
(net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack) I recently found that setting it to 0
produced a very noticable improvement in the performance of SMB traffic
from windows machine to a Samba server. This machine is 4.2-STABLE
cvsuped on April 5, 12:06.

I've seen various messages in the mail archives with relation to this
setting and improvements gained. You can add me as one who saw such an
improvement. Specifically, on occasion, transfer operations would pause
(as if waiting for something to happen ... no network activity) and
after 45 seconds, complete. (This is using Windows 95 to connect to the
above described machine) Setting delayed_ack=0 eliminated this delay
completely.

So ... here is my question:
Is there a problem with the delayed_ack code in FreeBSD? Is it Windows
that is the problem? It seems to me that there's something wrong with
SMB, since HTTP and ssh from Window's boxes works fine. This wasn't a
little performance improvement, this had the feel of something broken
getting fixed. We're talking 45 seconds, with zero network activity,
before the operation completed.

Not a critical question, mostly curiousity.

TIA,
Bill