Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:15:03 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_ntfs fails

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 01:54:57PM +0100, Didier Wiroth wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have two harddisks:
> 1) ad0 with 1 slice containing Windows XP pro
> 2) ad2 with two slices s1 is ntfs and s2 is freebsd 4.7-release
>
> I can mount_ntfs without problems ad2s1 from freebsd!
>
> BUT I can't mount_ntfs ad0s! When I try to mount it with the following
> command:
> mount_ntfs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
>
> I get the following error:
> mount_ntfs: /dev/ad0s1: Invalid argument
>
> And in /var/log/messages I see this:
> Feb 21 13:46:39 lucifer /kernel: ad0s1: slice extends beyond end of
> disk: truncating from 78140097 to 4408785 sectors
> Feb 21 13:46:39 lucifer /kernel: ntfs_loadntnode: BREAD FAILED
> Feb 21 13:46:39 lucifer /kernel: ntfs_vget: CAN'T LOAD ATTRIBUTES FOR
> INO: 0
>
> 1) What is the problem with ad0?
> 2) What can I do to resolve the problem so that I'm able to mount_ntfs
> ad0s1?

Does "mount_ntfs /dev/ad0s1c /mnt" work?  I have had similar moments of
darkness, and seem to recall that was one way out.  I'm not sure of the
reason for this - it is something to do with the way Windows installs itself
on the disk, and with the BSD disk name convention, the c partition
represents the whole slice.  That's my theory, anyway  ;-)

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \