Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:52:02 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@itouchlabs.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   GRE on 4.x

Hi All

I'm trying to integrate with a business aprner here who have a requirement
we use GRE tunnel inside of IPSEC for a number of reasons.  While the gif(4)
device provides IPIP tunneling (proto 4) this doesnt work when the remote
side is expecting true GRE (proto 47).

Has any one had any experiance working with GRE tunnels under FBSD.  I have
tried the following two resources I found but not much success on either.

http://mike.spottydogs.org/projects/gre-tun/

http://www.pointless.net/~jasper/consume/docs/my-docs/tunneling.html

The latter creates a GRE device, but has issues compiling on 4.3 which is
unfortunately what the production system in question runs.

Barry

--
Barry Irwin		bvi@itouchlabs.com			+27214875177
Systems Administrator: Networks And Security