Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:33:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: monitoring CPU/mem etc without SNMP

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 02:30:25PM -0800, twig les wrote:

> Hey all, after a bit of thinking and some looking thru
> email archives I'm still stumped on a way to get CPU,
> memory, disk I/O, disk use etc.... info from one
> machine to another without using SNMP.  All these
> boxes are FreeBSD 4.7 Release.

Check out Big Brother http://bb4.com/ -- it's not in ports, but it's
written in quite portable shell scripts, so you should be able to get
it running without too much hassle.  There's also a large library of
add-ons available at http://www.deadcat.net/ which should let you
monitor whatever you want.  Note that Big Brother is only free for
non-commercial use.

> So is anyone doing this?  The key I'm looking for is
> security, which negates SNMP.  Something small and
> secure with almost no extra features would be nice.

However you set it up, something of this nature will expose you to
extra security risks.  I wouldn't necessarily rate Big Brother as
particularly more secure than a well configured SNMP based system, but
BB is certainly easier to get right for first timers.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow