Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:35:27 +0100
From:      nigel@9fs.org
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

It's worth noting that the often quoted

http://www.marcuscom.com/g2g-xfree86/article.html

is just means to get the tip of the XFree86 Nvidia driver
into the most recent FreeBSD port. The code there is no
different to that on xfree86.org, just smaller! Unpacking the
FreeBSD port, cvsupping xfree86, and then copying the
relevant directory is equivalent.

It's true that the FreeBSD port does not build. There are
several PRs, including one wondering why other PRs have been
languishing. The problem is that version.def is not shipped/
does not get generated. I don't understand these things
so cannot explain further.

It seems it will build if a make world has been
done first, though I have not tried this. I presume this
has a side-effect of creating version.def.

It's unfortunate that building XF86 4.2 is a problem,
as this blocks use of the nvidia driver. If you don't want
3d, and don't mind that the chip is proprietary, then the
nvidia GO chips are just fine.

For the record, I have a G2G in my Dell Inspiron 4100
with 1600x1200 screen. I haven't got XFree86 running yet
for the build reasons, but I mined enough information
from the Xfree86 driver to update the Plan 9 nvidia driver
to support G2Gs, accelerated. My impression is that the
driver is pretty comprehensive.