Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:53:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Windows Update

The automatic update notification is a service runs in the
background and polls the web site.  There is no "invasion"
of privacy.  You can also schedule this software to execute
with task manager or with the "at" command under NT.

I am not sure what point you were trying to make, but some
of your facts are not correct.  You can look for the
registry key

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run/CriticalUpdate

and remove the key or disable it by making a minor name
change in the path.  The program is called wucrtupd.exe and
can be run from the command line.  The program polls the web
site with a simple query, then starts the web browser and
connects to the web site, if you answer "yes", instead of
"remind me later".  If you select yes, the program downloads
an updated software catalog.  You get to select from the
diff list on the web page and update any software that you
desire.

I prefer to execute the program with the task manager at
2am, that way it checks once a day.

*==============================================*
*Gene Harris      http://www.tetronsoftware.com*
*FreeBSD Novice                                *
*All ORBS.org SMTP connections are denied!     *

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator wrote:

>  http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
>
>  This website has delivered automatically several fixes to the OS involving
>  Dos and even more importantly data break-in in the past few months. It is
>  distressing to continually get notified of new fixes involving invasion of
>  privacy or possible loss of confidential business data. These fixes
>  usually involve html or JAVA related involving IE but some OS fixes have
>  been posted as well.  Although if FreeBSD implemented
something similar to