Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:45:11 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Jim Arnold" <jim@ohio.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: spontaneous reboots: how common in general?

I'll bet your running an IDE cdrom right?

Stuff like this doesen't happen with SCSI because the SCSI command
set is very tightly defined.  IDE/ATAPI on the other hand, particularly
with CDROMs, is spec of the month.

Most likely what the problem is that the CDROM drive that you were
attempting to read the CD from used a non-standard error return
code that the ATAPI driver doesen't have in it's list.  This has been
discussed before on this list.  There's ways that you can identify
this and submit it to the ATAPI developer who can add it in to the
driver so that instead of panicing, the system just comes back with
an error message.  But most people just find some Windows system with
a different model of CDROM drive in it that's willing to make "a donation"
and swap CD drives.  Then the Windows user gets the problem drive,
but since Windows crashes so much anyway, when it happens to them the
users don't realize that the system is not supposed to be crashing.

Your NFS panic on the other hand, well that's just NFS.  There's a reason
that it's nicknamed the Network Flaying System.