Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:24:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        System Operator <sysop@fhs.midcoast.com.au>, desmo@bandwidth.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT - LPRng port error!

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> [001109 18:07] wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, System Operator wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I jsut installed the latest LPRng port. FreeBSD 3.5.
> > > It has stomped all over my /etc/printcap, /etc/lpd.conf
> > > and /etc/lpd.perms files!!!
> >
> > No problem.  Just get a copy of those files from the regular backups
> > you've been making.
> > The port needs to modify those files.  I don't know but it may have backed
> > them up for you also.
> >
> > > Please fix pronto!
> > > Eddie.
> >
> > 	Eddie, if you want help from a group of volunteers, you might want
> > to watch your tone.  We're just users of FreeBSD, we're not here to solve
> > all your issues for you.  If you really need it fixed, noone is stopping
> > you.  Submit some diffs for the code and all will be well again in
> > wonderland.
>
> Maybe I'm a bit jaded, but his request wasn't that harsh, he should
> have taken the time to mail the port maintainer though.

It wasn't that it was THAT bad, but I didn't say it was horrible.  I would
love to be able to tell somebody to fix everything I don't like or that I
feel needs improvement.  But since I can't do the coding myself, I
reallize that those that can are volunteering.  And I appreciate what
everybody does contribute.  It was the "Please fix pronto!"  That got me.
No major deal.
						Tim