Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:25:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <tonymaher@optushome.com.au>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   probing LUN's

Hello,

I have been attempting to get a Hitachi SAN attached to a FreeBSD box
via a Qlogic 2300 card.  The card appeared to work ok (as evidenced
by verbose boot messages but no disk(s) was seen.  Finally was able
to see disk with a 'camcontrol rescan 1:0:4' command. Previous
'camcontrol rescan all' and 'camcontrol rescan 1' failed to see disk.
(and obviously not seen at boot time).

I did not set the SAN up but from a cursory examination:
The SAN has two controllers and two 'logical' raid 5 devices.
One controller is connected to a Sun box which sees c1t0d[0-3]
and the 4th lun appears to be given over to the second controller for
the FreeBSD box.

I assume this means that CAM does not probe all LUN's if no device at LUN 0
or sys/cam/cam_xpt.c has quirk entry for device that disables LUN probing.
There is quirk for {"HITACHI", "DK31*"} but the SAN reports as Hitachi DF600F
(I think, sorry its at work and I cannot access it currently)
so the second case shouldn't be a problem.

Am I reading this correctly?

thanks
--
tonym