Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:39:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp slow to connect

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Steve Price wrote:

> > > Yes I am.  I can't seem to get ftpd to start as a daemon for
> > > some dang reason. :/
> >
> > Then I bet it's inetd hanging, not ftpd.
>
> Okay, but it seems inetd has already handed of the request to
> ftpd since I get the password prompt and then it hangs.  Unless
> I inetd is handling the authentication for ftpd then the problem
> is most likely with ftpd and not the other way around.  But heh,
> I'll be glad to get this resolved so I'll investigate it further
> and see what turns up. :)

I thought of this too, but came to the same conclusion.  The hang he is
seeing is seemingly after inetd spawns the ftpd.  I will bet that inetd is
responsible for any rev-DNS that is occuring however, not the ftpd code
itself.

Another solution occurs to me:  grab a more "robust" ftpd such as wu-
where you can EXPLICITLY turn off rev-DNS lookups and where it can run
outside of inetd... or you could also replace inetd with something more
robust ( the DJB tcpserver tools for instance, see:
http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html ) and responsive.  If you are already
digging around in the ftpd source you might as well...

--Steve