Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 22:07:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Jason Godfrey <godfreja@dalamar.cs.uwec.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ATAPI CD-ROM partially detected

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 15-Aug-98, Jason Godfrey wrote:
> I just bought a new IDE CD-ROM to replace my old flakey one that didn't
> work with FreeBSD 2.2.6 at all. This new one is an improvement over the
> old one, but I'm still having problems.
>
> The CD-ROM is right now configured as a slave on the primary controller,
> but I had the same results when it was the master on the secondary.
>
> On boot I get the following:
>
> fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST32132A>
> wd0: 2015MB (4127760 sectors), 4095 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <WPI CDS-32X/ERf  2.0>, removable, dma, iordy
> wdc1 not found at 0x170
> npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
>
> This is more then I got with my old drive, but I expect some sort of
> message about wcd0. When I try to mount I get:
>
> vroom# mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt
> cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Input/output error

Lemme guess... you either bought a Wearnes drive, or the NewCom CD-ROM
upgrade kit?

The same exact thing happened to me, using the same exact drive.  (Well,
mine wasn't exactly the same.. it was the 24x version of this drive, and
probed as "WPI CDS-24X ...")

I posted to freebsd-hardware concerning this, and did not get any replies.
So I went ahead and explored the problem on my own.

I found that if you compile with "#define DEBUG" in /sys/i386/isa/atapi.c,
you will get lots of debug printouts.  Looking at these, I came to the
conclusion that the drive was not being probed properly.

At about the same time, I discovered other odd problems.  I also run Linux
on this machine, and was occasionally getting an error message when moving
large amounts of data off of a CD (although the drive *did* work udner
Linux).  Also, under Windows 95, the drive would occasionally "disappear"
from the system's point of view, and also sometimes it would appear as a
hard disk icon instead of a CD-ROM (and would not work when it did this).

So these results led me to two possibilities: (1) I have a defective unit,
and (2) these drives are pieces of @#^$@#%$.  In any case, it wasn't
working out, so I went back to the store where I purchased it and
exchanged it for another drive.  I ended up with a NEC 32X ATAPI CD-ROM
drive, and it is working great, under FreeBSD as well as Linux and Win95.

Since you have the same problem as I did, and since I now recall hearing
some very bad thoings about Wearnes in the past, I'm now leaning towards
the "avoid this brand at all costs" line of thinking.

My advice to o you is to return this drive immediately -- do NOT pass GO,
do NOT collect $200... -- and get something nicer.  The NEC 32x that I
mentioned is working very nicely for me, is MUCH quieter than the Wearnes
(It doesn't make that nasty vibrating/wobbling noise when it spins up),
and most of all, works perfectly under all three OS's.  Plus it was only
$10 more than the 24x-with-soundcard kit that I had originally bought.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ#16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.