Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:50:23 -0800
From:      Daryl Spartz <dspartz@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Exported kernel interfaces

I'm somewhat new to FreeBSD and could use some guidance. I'm working on
a winmodem port to FreeBSD from Linux. I have questions such as:

1) Are there exported kernel interfaces so that I can make the code a
KLD; that is,  when the module is loaded (kldload), the PCI probe code
is not automatically execute (as the ISA probe is). So is there a
find_pci_xxx like interfaces in FreeBSD. Is there a list of such
routines somewhere. (Linux has a means of finding these). When the
module is built into the kernel, the PCI probe does occur.

2) Are there kernel interfaces that a KLD can use to activate sounds.
Again, is there a list of interfaces available.
3) Can a KLD open and read files, if so, what are the interfaces
4) How does one request pinned (aka wired), non-pageable,  memory?
5) I thought newbus eliminated, somehow, the need of splx and it's
couterparts. What is the preferred method for handling interrupts?
6) Is there a real good example of code to look at. Drivers I have
looked at seem to be hybrids of old versus strictly newbus. A fully
newbus-ified driver would be great.

Any references to important doc would be greatly appreciated.

--
Daryl Spartz

Whistle Communications
dspartz@whistle.com