Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:13:46 +0200
From:      Thomas Runge <runge@egd.igd.fhg.de>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FBSD freezes...

Okay. I'll describe my problem installing FreeBSD.

I just got a new AMD K6-2 based system, with ALI
chipset and an IBM 6Gig disk. FreeBSD resides
at the last three Gig. I had a hard time installing
FreeBSD as every time sysinstall tried to fsck
my new partition, it freezed after a very short
time.
Some good guy at #freebsd told me to set PIO mode
down to 0 and that helped. But it doesnt satisfy
me, as it even slows down NT.
Now I compiled my own kernel and spend a long
time in the LINT config, looking for a solution.
And finally I found the flags for the wd0 driver.
I added 0x80048004 and that helped. I could change
the PIO mode back to 4 and enable the 32bit access
on that drive and it booted.
But sometimes, depending on phase of moon and the
tides it freezes again on heavy disk usage.

Does someone know a solution for my problem? I
tried all available documentation, but couldnt
find something regarding my problem... :-(

--
Tom