Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:45:04 +0200
From:      Stefan Sperling <stsp@stsp.name>
To:        Edwin Mons <freebsd@edwinm.ik.nu>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/83807: [sis] [patch] if_sis: Wake On Lan support for FreeBSD

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 05:07:39PM +0200, Edwin Mons wrote:
>  I currently have one -CURRENT machine, and several 6.2-STABLE machines. =
 For=20
>  at least two of them (the -CURRENT and an x86 -STABLE machine) I'd reall=
y=20
>  like to have WoL support, as these are my workstation and a home server,=
=20
>  both of them really do not need to be on all the time, but I want to be =
able=20
>  to reach them when I need a file from them when I'm elsewhere.

Yes, wake on lan, if used properly, makes computers a bit more
friendly to the environment :-)

>  I usually use either if_em or if_xl chipsets, so I hoped landing this co=
de=20
>  in at least -CURRENT (should go there first, I guess) would result in mo=
re=20
>  chipsets supported ;)

There is code for enabling wake on lan in the Linux drivers for both
if_xl and if_em cards. See drivers/net/3c59x.c and
drivers/net/e1000/e1000_ethtool.c in the linux source tree.

So I don't think adding support for these cards is a problem.
Just need to find some time to do it...

If anyone has data sheets for these cards I'd like a copy if possible.

By the way if anyone has data sheets for if_vr I'd like a copy as
well please because there is something the Linux driver does that
I do not understand because the code is not obvious enough.
Specifically I need to understand what the hell they mean exactly
by "patterns for WOL".

> > If anyone has a card that does wake on lan after shutdown from Linux
> > but not after shutdown from FreeBSD with my patch applied let me know.
> > You may need to use the ethtool utility to enable WOL on Linux.
>=20
>  I don't run Linux on either machine.  Perhaps I could do some tests on m=
y=20
>  workstation with a CD-based linux distribution.

No need to test your cards with Linux since we know now there is code
for this in Linux so it should work anyway.

--=20
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx