Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:37:12 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <matthew@starbreaker.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Matthew writes:

> Frankly, I don't like staring at a bare console.

What's bare about a console?

There have been many times when I've cursed Windows systems precisely because
they have no simple text-based interface for administration.  Even on the local
machine, there is almost nothing that you can accomplish with simple command
lines, and since there is nothing remotely approaching a telnet interface, you
can't administer the server from afar with command lines, either.  Instead you
must struggle with bandwidth-hungry, error-prone graphic interfaces for remote
administration, when you can get remote administration to work at all.

> Mouse? Hardly need one unless I'm working with
> GIMP or playing QuakeForge.

I've found that the main reason for having a mouse on a GUI is that no other
easy way to navigate among windows exists.  But if you are not using a GUI, you
don't need to navigate among windows.