Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:46:03 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOLVED - Re: AAARGH.

In message <Pine.BSF.4.32.0108191502400.21475-100000@mail.wolves.k12.mo.
us>, Ch
ris Dillon writes:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
> >
> > > Sh~t.  Now I'm seeing a hang, but its hanging even on a
> > > pre-interrupt-routing kernel I kept.  Its completing the boot, and
> > > getting all the way to a login prompt, but it hangs solid just a
> > > few seconds after that.  The BIOS upgrade must have caused it. :-(
> >
> > OK... this hang is really weird.  Everything is fine as long as I
> > stay in single-user mode. I can ifconfig interfaces, run cvsup,
> > etc.  But just seconds after booting multi-user and getting the
> > login prompt, the system hangs solid.  I've tried old 4.3 GENERIC
> > kernels, recent kernels, all the same.  I've removed everything
> > imaginable from the startup sequence.  Nothing in
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d starting up, nothing on rc.local, I even
> > somehow managed to accidentally delete rc.conf and still it hangs
> > on boot.  Made up a new rc.conf with everything disabled that
> > usually gets turned on by default.  Even took out all of the
> > tweaks in sysctl.conf.  No go.  Anyone else seeing this on a
> > Compaq or any other box?
>
> I found the cause of the hangs, at least one half of the cause.
> While perusing through dmesg, I noticed that there were some devices
> probed and "found" that I had disabled in the system configuration
> utility.  Taking a shot in the dark, I completely removed three unused
> drivers from the kernel (sio, ppc/lpt, psm).  Now the system no longer
> freezes when going multi-user.  WHY FreeBSD froze when going
> multi-user, and only multi-user, is a mystery to me.
>
> Before that I managed to get everything limping along by configuring
> everything by hand and running all of my services in single-user mode.
> :-)
>
> For the purposes of the archives, the machine in question is a Compaq
> Proliant ML530 using the 4/XX/2001 BIOS (XX=12, I think).  This
> problem occurred with a 4.3-RELEASE GENERIC kernel as well, so it
> definately isn't something introduced by any of the recent changes
> we've also been talking about, but rather introduced by some version
> of the Proliant ML530 BIOS between December 1999 and April 2001.  I
> suppose some changed default behaviours in the newer System
> Configuration Utility could have caused the problems as well.  I
> didn't test the December 1999 BIOS with the newest configuration
> utility to see if the problem still occurred.
>
> Now back to the problem of the PCI BIOS and PCI interrupt routing on
> these beasts. :-)

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, I've only been back from 4 weeks
of vacation for a week and I still have 1272 messages of over 5000 to
read (scan, etc.).  This one caught my interest.

I had the same problem under 4.3-RELEASE in March of this year.  I/O to
any SCSI device attached to my 2940U/UW, especially the Zip-100 drive
(when it was still attached) caused the hangs.  This was on a PIII 933
on an ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard.  The same PCI cards and devices worked
flawlessly on on a P120 I had just replaced.  Setting the motherboard
PCI option, via the BIOS, to PCI 2.0 from PCI 2.1, solved my problem.
I suspect that the 2940U/UW that I have is incapable of handling PCI
2.1 under certain circumstances.

Anyhow, I'm a happy camper now.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC