Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:04:48 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTPd install question

G D McKee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have ntpd running - should I be able to telnet onto port 123?

Nope. As ntpd are using UDP, and not TCP, you can not telnet to it.

> Having problems getting Windows XP to see it as a time server - my
> other unix box sees it fine?

I also had some trouble updating my time on my Win2k box. I'm using
AtomTime98 on that piece of machine. But when I uncommented the fol-
lowing in FreeBSD's /etc/inetd.conf it worked as it should:

daytime stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal

Maybe this will solve your problem?

> Thanks in advance
>
> Gordon

You're welcome!