Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:33:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeremy Nelson <jnelson@epicsol.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cups ported

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
>When someone decides to do it. Which means when someone running
>FreeBSD decides it's worth the effort, and submits the port. If you
>really want it, you can do it yourself.

I can attest to this -- it really isn't all that difficult.  I downloaded
cups, fixed a syntax error in their code, and installed it.  I then down-
loaded "gimp-print", which wanted me to install gimp, so I installed the
gimp port, and then gimp-print gave me wonderful full-color, postscript-ready
CUPS drivers for my humble Epson 860.  Works magnificently.  It did take
a bit of hand wringing to cross all the t's and dot all the i's, but I'm blown
away that this USB printer that didn't even seem to be able to do plain text
can now print whatever I throw at it.

I can help give instructions to someone who wants to do a port, but I myself
do not know how to create ports. :/

BTW, I have put a simple program to "wake up" some of these new-fangled
epson printers at http://www.acronet.net/~jnelson/epson-wakeup.c  if
anyone wants or needs it for any purpose.  This program is based off
of other contributions to freebsd-questions.

Jeremy