Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:56:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: delayed_ack

>Hi all,
>
>I'm curious as to some particulars on this sysctl value.
>(net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack) I recently found that setting it to 0
>produced a very noticable improvement in the performance of SMB traffic
>from windows machine to a Samba server. This machine is 4.2-STABLE
>cvsuped on April 5, 12:06.
>
>I've seen various messages in the mail archives with relation to this
>setting and improvements gained. You can add me as one who saw such an
>improvement. Specifically, on occasion, transfer operations would pause
>(as if waiting for something to happen ... no network activity) and
>after 45 seconds, complete. (This is using Windows 95 to connect to the
>above described machine) Setting delayed_ack=0 eliminated this delay
>completely.
>
>So ... here is my question:
>Is there a problem with the delayed_ack code in FreeBSD? Is it Windows
>that is the problem? It seems to me that there's something wrong with
>SMB, since HTTP and ssh from Window's boxes works fine. This wasn't a
>little performance improvement, this had the feel of something broken
>getting fixed. We're talking 45 seconds, with zero network activity,
>before the operation completed.
>
>Not a critical question, mostly curiousity.

   I think Windows is broken, but SMB should probably set TCP_NODELAY on the
socket in any case. Setting delayed_ack=0 will make all TCP connections
in the system essentially have the effect of setting TCP_NODELAY on them.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.