Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:46:41 -0500
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What about Solaris?

I know I have been subscribed to this list for years, but as a
non-contributer to FreeBSD (at least not yet) I don't always pay attention
to it.  I do know that in the past I have seen some posts where people
dissed Solaris, calling it Slowaris, posting benchmarks showing Solaris
systems being outperformed by the same machine running Linux, FreeBSD, or
what have you.

I am just curious what people think about Solaris.  I wouldn't be surprised
to find that a single-cpu Solaris system would be outperformed by the same
level of hardware running FreeBSD or Linux.   For heaven's sake, Solaris
has been architected for extreme scalability, including very fine
granularity of locking within the kernel, preemptible kernel, interupt
threads, etc.  With all that lock overhead, I don't doubt the uniprocessor
Solaris machine sacrifices some performance for a uniform code
base.  Didn't I just read that FreeBSD-SMP is just about ready actually to
have some kernel code no longer protected by the Big Giant Lock?

My guess would be that Solaris could likely be outperformed on a single or
possible even a dual-cpu machine running such a non-scalable OS.  My guess
is that if you slap FreeBSD-SMP, Linux, or what have you, on a 4-way box
you will start to see Solaris overtake the other ones.  And if you can find
an 8-way box that can run FreeBSD or Linux and Solaris, I think I would
have to be very surprised if the Solaris system didn't spank the other two.

Consider that Solaris works fine on up to a 64-cpu machine right now, and
machines with more cpus are probably right around the corner.  People run
Solaris on machines with 12, or 24, or whatever, cpus all the time, and it
works great.

I guess I have just been doing a lot of thinking about Solaris recently
because I have been reading the most excellent book "Solaris Internals:
Core Kernel Architecture" by Jim Mauro and Richard McDougall.  I have been
extremely impressed by what appears to my
fairly-new-to-operating-system-theory mind to be a very well thought out,
well implemented, highly scaleable architecture.

And then I think back to the posts I have seen in the past where folks
raked Solaris over the coals, and I have to wonder, what is it about
Solaris that people don't like?  What technically bothers someone about
Solaris as opposed to something like Linux or FreeBSD?

This isn't supposed to be a troll post, I am honestly interested in what
people think.

Seth Leigh