Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:46:03 +0200
From:      Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buslogic/Mylex HAs

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 11:36:21AM -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> That's not good.  Did you send anything to the SCSI list about this?  I
> don't remember seeing anything said about it.

No, I didn't. This is a system we need at work to burn CD's. At first we
suspected some interaction with NFS so we took NFS out of the kernel, but the
problem persisted. In the end we decided to do a reinstall using the
2.2.7-RELEASE CD-ROM, because we need this system to work. So unfortunately
I'm no longer able to reproduce the problem :-(

Side note: we tried to coerce the system into producing a core dump using
dumpon, without success. We did get it to panic into ddb though. Wish I had
written down the call stack /me slaps forehead <*thwap*>

> I've seen panics on -stable and -current with cdda2wav; they seem to be
> related to shared memory usage.  It'll probably take someone more familiar
> with the VM system to sort them out, though.  The problem doesn't seem to
> be directly attributable to CAM, but it my be exacerbated by CAM.

This problem (at least this panic) isn't particularly new, it would seem; the
archives show messages referring to it dating back as far as 1995. So purely
intuitively, without being hampered by any relevant knowledge on this topic, I
tend to agree ;-)

> It looks like cdrecord uses shared memory as well, so the panic may be
> similar.  Can you send me a stack trace?

Sorry :-(

Thanks,
--
Jos Backus                          _/  _/_/_/    "Reliability means never
                                   _/  _/   _/     having to say you're sorry."