Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:50:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        vince@venus.GAIANET.NET (Vincent Poy)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE passwd issue

Vincent Poy wrote,
> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> > Vincent Poy wrote,

> > > 	Yeah, thanks for fixing the mixup....  But what's the maximum
> > > characters allowed for MD5 and DES for passwords?
> >
> > I believe the maximum number of characters you can type in is 128.
> > However, for DES I know only the first 8 characters are
> > significant. From a _really_ quick look at crypt_md5() source, it
> > looks like it uses 16. Is that right? I am sure MD5 uses more.
>
> 	Hmmm, I think MD5 does use more except is there a reason to not
> install DES at all?

I had a hard time parsing this sentence. Is there a period missing
after the "execpt?"

MD5 does use more characters. MD5 is unquestionably the more secure
option for that reason and others. DES has U.S. export restrictions
attached to it (the reason the MD5 password method was developed at
all). That's a "reason" for people outside the U.S. not to use it,
they cannot get it in the standard FreeBSD distribution.

As for whether someone in the US would prefer to or not to use it, the
only reason to use DES is for compatibility with other systems that
only use DES (e.g. my machines using NIS at the office fall into that
category). Other than that, I really don't know of a good reason.