Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:57:31 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: OpenSSH install fails on 4.0-RELEASE

Hello -

I have several FreeBSD servers, all with identical installs of
4.0-RELEASE.  I've added the ports upgrade kit from
http://www.freebsd.org/ports to all of them (4.0 to 4-stable upgrade kit).

I've installed other versions of OpenSSH on pre-4 FreeBSD before, without
any problems.  This is my first exposure to v4.

My port skeletons are recent as of last night at 11PM EST.  I've done a
'make' and 'make install' on /usr/ports/security/rsaref.  I went to do the
same on /usr/ports/security/openssl and got back an incomplete message
stating that making openssl was forbidden because it was already in the
base system.  I went to /usr/ports/security/openssh and did a 'make'.  I
got back an inaccurate error message telling me that I couldn't install
openssh because I didn't have openssl, with a pointer to the handbook with
the wrong url (the message says to go to section 6.5, but that section is
dealing with user account management).

I've spent the better part of today and most of yesterday searching mailing
list archives, websites, etc, without getting an answer.

I'm not inexperienced with UNIX or FreeBSD, and I'm puzzled why this is
happening.

I've tried installing the crypto-src package on one machine, and making and
installing that.  It starts to work, then starts barking about not being
able to find idea.h and other files related to IDEA (none of which are in
the crypto distribution).

Can anyone provide a pointer to step-by-step instructions of how to get
openssh onto FreeBSD 4-RELEASE (port upgrade kit installed)????

Should I just start over and install OpenBSD instead?

Thanks for any help in advance, and my apologies if this has been asked
before...I've searched the list archives all morning and haven't found any
answers.  If it helps, this is the output of 'uname -a':

FreeBSD pegasus.solidspeed.com 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Mar
20 22:50:22 GMT
2000     root@monster.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

Thanks.

- John