Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:31:05 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Christian Johansson <pt99cjh@student.bth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make fails: when compiling kernel

On Friday 01 January 1999 02:54 am, Christian Johansson wrote:
> I'm completely new to freebsd and tried to get my Soundblaster Live to =
work
> I sure tried to take away stuff that I know I didn't have,, but when I =
make=20
> the kernel I got the following error:
>=20
> linking kernel
> umass.o: In function `umass_cam_attach_sim':
> umass.o(.text+0x1851): undefined reference to `cam_simq_alloc'
> umass.o(.text+0x189c): undefined reference to `cam_sim_alloc'
=2E..
> *** Error code 1

Jens is correct if not terribly polite.  Configuring a kernel you have to=
 be=20
fairly careful.  Read up on the handbook chapter on the kernel config
www.freebsd.org/handbook
and the config file itself closely.  If you're on 4.x series an attempt a=
t=20
reading LINT can be educational if not critical.

your question is also a FAQ, so try reading that too when you have a ques=
tion.

Welcome, and have fun, experimenting and making mistakes is a great way t=
o=20
learn, just make sure to read some docs too :)

Tim