Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2011 00:58:59 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how are callouts handled in cpu_idle() ?

On 5 October 2011 23:12, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Can you explain why the critical section is there in more detail? It seems
> like all of our problems arise because of it.

It seems to make some of my MIPS cases more problematic. I don't know
about the i386. DES reports that his weird/crashing fileserver issues
are fixed by setting idletick=1.

I'd love to hear from other users who have fixed their HEAD/9.0 issues
by setting kernel.eventtimer.idletick=1. I have a feeling that some
corner cases in interrupt handling and task scheduling are now (more)
exposed due to the timer code in 9. I'm hoping to replicate some
issues on my i386 eeepc (which uses ACPI for halting, rather than HLT)
and see if that also contributes.

Adrian