Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:28:55 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New NFS probs with 2.2.6

> I've used essentially the same NFS/AMD setup since 2.2.beginning,
> and today, after rebooting my machine (to get the stinking bios
> version number....grrr) NFS to a NAC or Auspex (I forget which)
> developed a problem where it will work for a while and then it
> will hang.  It may be that the sysadmin types upgraded the software
> on the server box.

When you say "hang", in what state are the "hung" processes?
(Use 'ps -axl' to see this)

> Am I having a problem that can be fixed by using NFS v2 for my
> outbound mounts?

Possibly.  Try duplicating a mount manually in v2 mode and see if it
still fails.

> Is there a way to set this as an option to sysctl?

The mount type is determined by the mount request, which isn't sent by
the kernel.  You should be able to rebuild amd and tweak it to always
request a v2 mount.

The correct solution, of course, is to work out what's going wrong
where and fix it.