Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Index generation fails

Greetings,

I am experiencing a failure when the ports index
is being built or rebuilt.  This happened after
updating ports via cvsup and after I completely
erased and re-built the ports tree.  I do have a
complete and up to date ports collection; and the
version of FreeBSD that I am using is
5.2.1-RELEASE-p4.  My system is an Athlon-XP
based system.  /etc/make.conf looks like this:
---------------------------------
DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1

CFLAGS= -O -pipe -mmmx -mfpmath=sse

COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe -mmmx -mfpmath=sse

CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp

MAKE_SHELL?=sh
KERNCONF=PRIMUS2FW
INSTALL=install -C

NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND
NO_FORTRAN=     true    # do not build g77 and
related libraries
NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_LPR= true    # do not build lpr and related
programs
NOPROFILE=      true    # Avoid compiling
profiled libraries
NOUUCP= true    # do not build uucp related
programs
DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Thu Dec  4 14:50:02 2003
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
-----------------------------
What follows is the error that is being reported:
-----------------------------
Shutting down connection to server
Finished successfully
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp
- please wait..===> editors/xemacs failed:
"Makefile", line 73: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} """
"Makefile", line 74: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "If your MOTIF library is actually
lesstif, you might occasionally""
"Makefile", line 75: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "experience locked-up frames.""
"Makefile", line 76: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "In this case, set the environment
variable MOTIF_STATIC and recompile, ""
"Makefile", line 77: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "which will force the use of athena
widgets for dialogs.""
"Makefile", line 80: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} """
"Makefile", line 81: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "Set the environment variable
WITHOUT_X11 if you ""
"Makefile", line 82: Unassociated shell command
"@${ECHO_MSG} "do not want to use X11.""
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are
running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.
If so, then report
the failure to ports@FreeBSD.org together with
relevant details of
your ports configuration (including FreeBSD
version, environment and
/etc/make.conf settings).

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error
primus#

Hopefully this helps.  Thanks for your help and
all the work on the wonderful ports system!

Shannon