Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 1996 15:43:03 -0400
From:      Tim Alibozek <timmy@bcn.net>
To:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Cc:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN (fwd)

> > >Cable has a good chance of blowing ISDN away.  Much faster and cheaper.  And
> > >it will be available in many places this year.  More, next.
> >
> > Cable is a pain.  It works only one way.  If you want to send a large file
> > you still have to go slow.  And, you still need to be a member of a ISP
> > as you can't write to cable, from what I've read.
>
> Depends on how good your local cable system is.  The cable-data system
> that Rogers Cable is introducing in the Toronto area is two-way (with
> symmetrical bandwidth, amazingly enough, or at least that's the way it was
> in the prototype system).
>
> Incidentally, harking back to the original theme of this discussion :-),
> the hardware used for the Rogers prototype talked to the computers by
> Ethernet.
>
>                                                            Henry Spencer
>                                                        henry@zoo.toronto.edu

	I just got back from Montreal and from what I understand...the modern part
of Montreal have bi-directional 256k/256k cable modems and the not so modern parts
of Montreal have bi-directional 256k/72k cable modems.

--
Tim Alibozek            |      The Berkshire County Network
System Administrator    |      A full service Internet Service Provider