Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:20:46 +1000 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To:        ulf@alameda.net
Cc:        aneks@kom.auc.dk, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mirroring FreeBSD www pages using rsync.

In article by Ulf Zimmermann:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 09:28:37AM +0200, Arne Norre Ekstroem wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > At http://www.freebsd.org/mirror.html you recommend using rsync for
> > mirroring your web pages. It seem that the version of rsync you use is
> > not compatible with 2.0 and newer. Is this true??? Would it be
> > possible for you to start using a newer version of rsync???

I made the modifications to rsync 1.7.4 to allow us to use it for `anonymous'
rsync use. Since then, Andrew Tridgell has installed his own changes to rsync
which adds this functionality. He has promised a `caching' mode, where the
server caches checksums, rather then recalculate them each time a client
connects.

I have been hanging off from suggesting that we switch to Andrew's new
versions, because I hoped this caching would be implemented soon. However,
it seems a while off. So perhaps it's time for us to switch up to the newer
versions of rsync, and then once again (on the server side only) when
support for caching arrives.

My 1.7.4 hack to rsync runs off port 1810, from memory. The official rsync
daemon port (approved by IANA) is another number. So we could run both
in parallel, and phase out the 1.7.4 versions.

Ulf, and all the other people who look after thr primary site, what do you
think? I'm happy to help out with advice etc.

Cheers,
	Warren