Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:56:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jason DiCioccio <jdicioccio@epylon.com>, "'Artur Meski'" <glash@freebsd.net.pl>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, robert@watson.org
Subject:   Re: Exec logging, FreeBSD Kernel Module.

I basically got a 0 response to my initial SPY reply, so I will attempt to
mention it here again, and throw Robert's name on it.

AFAIK, at USENIX there was a BoF for those working on kernel related
security features (Trusted patch sets, other) to speak their minds on 1)
what they were doing and 2) to attempt to start to come up with some sort
of cross-OS standard for having "hooks" into kernel code.  This would
allow for easy coding of kernel related features that could be cross-OS
allowing for only recoding of possible OS specific pieces (which would be
greatly lessened after this standard interface was in place).

Anyway, what I had been wondering was whether or not there were some
useful conclusions actually made from that BoF...  These would be useful
in something like SPY -- or some work that Im doing -- so that they can
attempt to conform to a standard from the beginning.

Anyone have any thoughts on 1) what happened at hte BoF and 2) future of
kernel hook standards in fbsd?

Andrew