Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 11:55:30 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lyx dvips error - only prints small files

On 4/1/00, 1:04:31 AM, David Banning <tracker@worldy.com> wrote
regarding lyx dvips error - only prints small files:

> I have just installed tex 3.13159, dvips 5.76 and Lyx 1.1.4fix1
> I am using FreeBSD 3.4 with XFree86 3.3.3

> I am just printing the example files that come with LyX.
> The first two print fine through dvips and gs butter
> the larger ones don't - can't view in dvi or ps either.

> All get the same error on the text screen;

> "UserGuide.dvi: No such file or directory"

> The only tip I've heard so far was that memory might be low
> I tried increasing it (from 1Meg to 2 to 5) in the file;

> "/usr/local/share/texmf/ps/config.ps"

> but that didn't work (not sure if I have to run anything
> to make the memory change take effect)

> Any ideas?

Dear David Banning,

I installed the Lyx ports this week (AFAIR, three days ago.)

It works fine on my 3.4-STABLE system running XFree86-3.3.6 and the
TeX port (1.0.6, needs updating :-). I had a look (view dvi) at the
User's Guide etc.

NO difficulties so far. I even printed a few documents.

However, my home box has 384 MB RAM if that matters.

Also, I had installed the textproc/docproj and raised the default TeX
settings as described in /usr/ports/jadetex/pkg/MESSAGE:

JadeTeX uses quite a lot of TeX's resources.  You may find it
necessary to increase the size of some of TeX's resource pools by
editing the file /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf with any text
editor.

For example, to typeset the FreeBSD Handbook with JadeTeX, change the
following settings to the listed values:

          hash_extra =3D 60000
          pool_size =3D 1000000
          max_strings =3D 70000
          save_size =3D 10000

If you change /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, delete the word
"original" on line 1 of the file.  This will prevent future
installations of TeX from overwriting changes you've made.

I seem to understand the following:
i) LyX uses LaTeX as a print backend;
ii) LaTeX (a TeX macro package) uses (wait for it) TeX;
iii) TeX is a typesetting engine (or program) with macro capability.

Configuring TeX as shown above should (probably) solve the problem.

HTH,
Salvo