Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:01:22 -0600
From:      "Andrei Cojocaru" <spinlock_lists@empirequest.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Counting the clock cycles

I was asking around in #freebsdhelp on EFNet what the equivalent of
GetTickCount() in the Win32 API is in FreeBSD.

I need a way to properly determine passage of time that is not affected if I
change the system clock for example. The only way I'm aware that you can do
that is by counting the number of clock cycles since system startup. What
function does that in FreeBSD? I'd also like a Linux way if possible. (that
is a way that will work across all UNIX clones). Thanks and please include
my email in the reply directly since I'm not signed up to this mailing list.
Thanks once again.
----
Andrei Cojocaru
spinlock_lists@empirequest.com