Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 23:08:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      SACBBX <rdugaue@netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help! PWs and other woes

I have 3 FreeBSD machines netted. I'm trying to get synced passwords
across all three machines without having to resort to NIS. I have one
machine we'll call the main one. If I copy master.passwd to other another
machine then invoke vipw and cause it to rebuild shouldn't the PWs now be
synced? This doesn't appear to be the case on my systems. All the
passwords quit working on the second machine. I have to invoke single user
mode to even get into the system.

Taking a suggestion that I possibly didn't have securedist properly
installed on the main machine, I copied /etc to a backup dir and
re-installed bin, then secure. Copied the /etc backup back. Whamo, now my
main machine's passwords are invalid! I have backups of master.passwd,
but they do no good. It's almost as if the machines are using entirely
different encryption algorythms. What can I do? How do I save from having
all my users redo their passwds??? This is a big problem.

Also, when upgrading to a new version, I think the extract file should
WARN the operator that it's about to wipe out all your /etc custom
configs as well as your passwd stuff! I got bit on this once already and
had to have all the users redo their passwords. Making them do it a
second time will cause major problems and probably some lost customers.

HELP!!!!!