Date:      Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:28:00 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no (t)csh read builtin?

Emanuel Strobl wrote:

>how can I interactively read a variable from the command line with tcsh?
>The *[^c]sh command "read" doesn't exist, so how can I do it with csh?

 From man csh:

       $<      Substitutes  a  line  from  the standard input, with no
further
               interpretation thereafter.  It can be used  to  read
from  the
               keyboard in a shell script.  (+) While csh always quotes
$<, as
               if it were equivalent to `$<:q', tcsh does  not.
Furthermore,
               when  tcsh  is waiting for a line to be typed the user
may type
               an interrupt to interrupt the sequence into which the
line  is
               to be substituted, but csh does not allow this.
--Alex