Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:31:56 +0200
From:      Juha Korkiakangas <sfp2011@post.netlink.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP-Masquerading using FreeBSD?

Christoph Sold wrote:

> Thomas Bader wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD-4.0-CURRENT (but I believe, I'll do an
> > upgrade to 4.1-STABLE soon).  Under Linux I can use
> > IP-Masquerading, which is a special sort of NAT.
> >
> > Is there a possibility to use IP-Masquerading or NAT under
> > FreeBSD?  The goal is, to provide my home LAN (using just
> > the 192.168.x.x IP range) with internet access, like I do
> > now using a Linux server (I'd like to go from Linux to
> > FreeBSD).
>
> Yes. It is available in the kernel (just compile it in) as well as built
> into userland ppp.
>
> HTH
> -Christoph Sold

With FreeBSD(i'm using 4.0-release) NAT-setup is more simple than Linux.
Just edit your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file and /etc/resolv.conf, start your
ppp with 'ppp -nat -auto my_ISP'.(my_ISP is label in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf,
default is papchap or something like that, you can change it)  That's
all!

regards
Juha