Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:06:18 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Allen Pulsifer" <pulsifer@mediaone.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is 4.0-iso checksum right? [was: iso-image ]

>I started a download from ftp.freebsd.org this Tues, and it took about
>24 hours to complete.  The checksum matched up ok, but it looks like
>the ISO image has changed since then.

yep, that's it.  my checksum matches the old file.  guess I should have
grabbed the checksum file first.  :-)  I hadn't notice the date change.

That's one thing that just doesn't make sense to me about the way fbsd
releases are being managed.  I have absolutely no problem with the
release being re-done for just about any reason they think is
justifiable.  But there really should be a field somewhere in the
version/release number to allow distinguishing between one and another.
Anything that's important enough to warrant re-issueing  the release is
obviously important enough to have a number to indicate the version you
have has that revision in it.

-Mitch