Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:40:18 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recording via SB16?

 |Thanks for the response, Randall.
 |
 |When I read them in (probably using sox, maybe tosha), I can play them back
 |just fine.
 |
 |I've just been unable to convert from the .cdr format to, say, .au at *any*
 |sampling rate and have the result be playable.

I've not worked with this format before, so I can only try and guess.  But
with sox, here are some things you might try (I'm sure you tried some of
these already):

sox -t cdr myfile.cdr -t au - > /dev/audio
sox -t cdr myfile.cdr -t raw -U -b -c 1 -r 8012 - > /dev/audio

and in case the samples are byte swapped (doubtless there's a simpler way,
but I like to be explicit):

sox -t cdr myfile.cdr -r 44100 -t raw -u -w -x - | \
                  sox -r 44100 -t raw -u -w - -t au - > /dev/audio

Randall