Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:18:40 +0200
From:      "Sander Holthaus" <hostmaster@orangexl.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7 Watchdog Timeouts

 Since FreeBSD 4.5, I've been using a Toshiba Satellite 320 CDT laptop with
a Xircom Realport REM56G PCMCIA networkcard (and modem). While not easy, I
got it to work under 4.5, and later 4.6 by setting it to PCIC-complaint
under the BIOS (instead of 16bit mode), using IRC 10 and putting
machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000 in sysctl.conf. I always got a few Watchdog
timeouts on starting up and when the card had to autonegoiate the media, but
it worked.

Now, I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.7, and the card has stopped working :-( Tried
everything in the book (I think) to get it working again, but to no avail.
It doesn't crash FreeBSD anymore like when for using 16bit PCCARD-mode in
the BIOS and a shared IRQ 11, however it just doesn't to work. The
connection LED goes on, but the receive LED never blinks, EVER. After a few
second, a watchdog timeout occurs and the connections LED goes out and on
again.

I did notice a difference between 4.5 / 4.6 and 4.7. Just before the pccard
deamon starts, I would see the machdep.pccard.mem_start value changing from
something like 65360 to 85xxx. Later on I would see it again but from 85xxx
to 85xxx (same value twice), rpobably from the entry I put in the
sysctl.conf (machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd4000).
It doesn't anymore, just says the 8xxxx to 8xxxx at the end...

Any idea's / suggestions? My guess is, that everything is OK (no IRC
confilicts etc) , except for the place in memory that is used for the
driver...

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus