Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:55:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "J. Taylor" <333@flashcom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Stable versions of FreeBSD

On 10-Nov-00 J. Taylor wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I plan to order a computer from ASA.  I only know of two versions that are
> Stable.  FreeBSD 2.2, 3.x.  I would like to know the latest stable version.

The latest version is 4.1.  FreeBSD 4.2 will be released in another week
though, and the CD's should be shipping in about 5-6 weeks, so you may want to
wait to get the latest version, but that choice is up to you.

> This will be a home computer for personal use.  Being 64 years old I would
> like to know how much math I need.  I have forgotten  most of what I was
> taught.

Unless you are going to be writing your own programs, you won't need too much
math, and even programming rarely requires more than algebra except for special
case problems.